This year has been difficult for me. This is because I left my job at the university, suffered carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and lost all my investments. I don’t normally talk about challenges in my life. But for the first time in eight years I have decided to blog about my misfortune which occured in June this year and is still affecting me.
When I left my job I started a school where I offered ICT programmes for the youth. I put all my investment into the school. My office was in the heart of Accra and little did I know there was a gas station with a silent generator plant right behind my office window. I was unknowingly breathing in CO about eight hours a day. Then I started experiencing headaches, shortness of breath, severe weakness and was rushed to the hospital on the sixth day. I received oxygen treatments.
I have closed down the school and haven’t worked since and have moved to the outskirts. Luckily lessons had not actually started so no student suffered the effect of CO. My investment in the office rental, equipments, advertisements etc. is all gone. But I’m glad I have my life back.
CO poisoning makes you feel like your heart is about to fall out of your chest especially when you crouch. CO is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas which makes it very difficult to detect by the senses. I didn’t suffer any permanent tissue damages otherwise it would have been very bad for me. One of my American friends says in the U.S. the gas station will be made to pay my medical bills and compensate me for all my losses but that rarely happens in Ghana.
Since I left the hospital and came home, I have not been able to recuperate my losses. As the year gradually comes to an end I have become very depressed.